Friday, July 1, 2011

A Dress! A Dress! A Dress! A Dress!

Have you ever read Green Eggs and Ham? Of course you have. My favorite line is "A train! A train! A train! A train! Could you, would you on a train?"

Ahem.

Last summer, my mom bought me this dress. Cute, right?


Unfortunately, the color washed me out terribly. I planned to just give it to Goodwill, but I couldn't let go of it! It was really cute and comfortable, but the color just wasn't for me. I went to a baby shower a few weeks ago and two girls there were wearing this same dress, but they were different colors. Then, I read on YoungHouseLove about how they dyed some slipcovers for their dining room chairs. Idea!

I decided a navy blue would be really cute, so I bought some iDye in, uh, navy blue. (PS, even if they hadn't used this on YHL, I still would have bought it. I am a sucker for cool packaging.)


It was super easy, although a bit nerve-wracking because with this particular brand of dye, you put it right into your washing machine. Eek! No worries though, it turned out perfectly!


Isn't it cute! The color is amazingly uniform throughout (these pics don't do it justice). And the best part? The stitching did not dye, which gives it a really cute detailing.


I am so happy with how it turned out! I can't wait to finally get some wear out of this dress. I am also dye-happy now. What else is in this house that I can dye!

(Note: it did get my washing machine a bit blue-y. So far it is coming off fine with Windex and I will be sure to run a few loads through of darks and jeans before trying out some whites. I'm not worried about it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment